Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I’m a Confederalist



As of late, I’ve been reading a lot of Civil War novels, in lieu of what I should be reading: Victorian period literature (I find I never read WHAT I’m supposed to, WHEN I’m supposed to. It’s the curse of an English Major).

When I was a kid living in Philadelphia, and I first learned about the Civil War, it seemed like a no brainer: of course the Union was in the right. But as I’ve matured, become more informed, and spent most of my teenage years in the South, I’ve discovered there was a lot more to it than the issue of Slavery.

What makes me Federalist?

1. The United States would never have realized its full potential if the South had successfully and permanently seceded: “A house divided cannot stand.”

2. I have tremendous conviction Abraham Lincoln was anointed of God to lead this nation. His push for the Union and his emancipation of slaves, if nothing else, made his cause just.

3. I have two great, great uncles who served in the New York Federalist regiment, and I feel a kinship to them. (Both, incidentally, served in Gettysburg, and both survived.)

What makes me Confederate?

1. I realize slavery was a horrible and unjust construct, and I’m glad the Union succeeded in abolishing it, but I definitely have sympathy for the Confederacy’s resentment towards the Federal Government. The Government, unless there is a strong possibility the laws of God or the Constitution will be violated, doesn’t have the right to control a state if the majority of that state doesn’t believe in what the Government is pushing. For a contemporary example, if 38 States of 50 don’t want socialized medicine, and the Government still somehow pushes the legislation through, there’s a problem. As far as I’m concerned, you want money for schools or for an army? Fine. But when the Government starts ownin’ the banks, people start talkin’ ‘bout socialized control, and I’m told half my paycheck is going to lazy asses with five welfare babies, I start thinkin’ about pullin’ out a HUGE Confederate flag, myself. Charity is for the weak, not for the lazy and weak-minded. (Wow! That went someplace entirely unexpected.)

2. The South is by far the superior culture. PERIOD. Who wouldn’t want to preserve it?
Southerner to strangers: “Hi y’all. Did you eat? Well, come on in. I’m sure glad to know ya.”

North Easterner to family member: “Get the hell off of my doorstep, unless you’re here to give me that money you owe me.”

Maybe I’m just crazy, but I feel sympathy and alliance to both.

11 comments:

Sara Lyn said...

Amen and AMEN! Well said. All of it. ('Cept I don't have two uncles who served in Gettysburg. I don't think. If I did, they'd have been on the opposite side. Sorry.)

Sara Lyn said...

And Amen.

Svedi Pie said...

I really like this post! I can't wait to move out to the South and enjoy some of that Southern culture! Craig really appreciated this posts well. He was just talking with some co-workers about the treatment of the US govt towards the South at that time. They didn't believe him, so he appreciated the points you made.

Kira said...

SHOUT THE RALLY CRY!! I could fight the battle with you as my inspiration. What are you doing in English?

I'm not even a southerner, but I sure do like them.

ldsjaneite said...

I agree with everything except the last little bit. Sorry. I know I'm a born southerner, and that I technically live in the south now, but I am also a New Englander. As I've learned over and over in WV in UT, there are many who fit the stereotype, and many who do not. Well I have fun in teasing about the stereotype and can take the teasing myself, I also know not to generalize too much for those who are easily upset by that. I've met as many friendly and hospitable northerners as I have met two-faced, acid-mouthed southerners.

So I'll defend both sides. And where I choose to live? Where ever the Lord wants me.

Becky said...

Heidi-To be fair, I wrote that point to poke a little fun at my own familial experiences.

When I was a kid, my mother took me to meet a few of my cousins in New York. They weren't necessarily mean, but they were rather distant-like the way you'd treat a stranger you never meant to see again. In all these years since, I've never once heard from any of them, and they were blood kin.

When I met my Aunt Dana (who is something like a fifth or six cousin, through marriage), I immediately felt her Southern hospitality and warmth. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the very words I wrote coming out of her mouth.

Of course, these are generalization and stereotypes. Good people and jerks can be found just about anywhere. I'm just saying, I've never been treated as well or as kindly as I have in the South. So even though I've lived just about everywhere, I have a special preference.

ldsjaneite said...

I knew you were in a little jest. And truth. I've seen it all, too. Just not with family...an't got any family out in these parts. Oh wait, I just found some. Hmm. Never mind.

My preference is anywhere that gives me full fall colors!

Seth said...

Ahh, music to my ears. :)

Jaime said...

Suthernors ah ignernt folk, an' oughtta bay chucked in the osh'un. Plus they use all of our Yankee earned dollars for their welfare system. Long live the Yankee blood.

Jaime said...

Kidding. Please don't disown me. And I think that the Lord should want you in Flagstaff, Heidi.

Mummzie and Popsicle said...

Becky
I had folks shooting from each side of the line at Gettysburg...talk about divided allegiance. There were issues considered worth dying for on both sides, there still are. Your points are well taken. We love you no matter where you live.