Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My First Official Blog

Hello my peeps.

Welcome to Becky’s Blog.

So I'm guessing everyone *Cough. Looks around wondering if anybody is actually reading.* is curious about what this little blog will be like. I imagine it will be somewhat episodic in nature. Mostly because I feel it is absolutely necessary to spare you the dull whining I’m perfectly capable of doing over the phone. Hopefully you will be slightly entertained enough to check it out once in a while.

Anywho. Here we go.


Today I bought three comic books. I'm not sure how much I've mentioned about my new obsession, but I feel I owe everyone an explanation. I know what you're all thinking. I used to think it too, actually.

Not so very long ago, I imagined folks my age (26) who still bought comic books were a special kind of people the rest of us were meant to shun, or at the very least avoid. They existed in two types.

Type #1 were perpetually zit-faced, hygienically challenged, nerds--the sort who've seen every episode of Star Trek the Next Generation, can speak Klingon, are capable of reciting the scripts for all three original Star Wars movies, and can tell you which cable channels show reruns of Stargate SG1 (I had to look up the title for that one).

Type #2 were an equally unpleasant breed. These types were semi-goths who couldn't understand that colors other than black and red were perfectly acceptable choices for their wardrobe. They enjoyed masochistic pleasures such as facial and neck tattoos, cheek piercings, and walking around in leather trench coats year round (not a pleasant thought, considering our 100+ Utah temperatures). They were also known for their extensive collections of imaginary weaponry. I don’t mean they collected weapons that didn’t exist: I mean they collected weapons that could only exist in “crazy people land,” i.e. 7 ft long swords, knives with funky blades, Xena Warrior Princess spears.

Are ya getting a picture here?

But then earlier this year I rediscovered Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD. I tried to resist, but I became powerless against watching exciting episodes that included witches blowing holes in the earth, vampires ripping out people’s throats, and even the occasional musical (Yes…there is a Buffy Musical. Season 6: Ep 7. Check it out. Very, Very Good Stuff.). I fell in love with every character. But alas, like most good things, the show came to an end in the summer of 2003. And then its spinoff show, Angel, gave up the ghost just a year later. The “Buffy Verse”, as we Buffy Nerds affectionately call it, took a four year hiatus.

Thankfully, in the fall of 2007, Joss Whedon (Forewarning: if you become a regular reader of this blog, you’ll be hearing a lot about this guy), series creator/director/writer/producer, decided to bring back the show in comic formatting: Buffy Season 8 comics. You can imagine I rolled my eyes when I discovered this four months ago. It was bad enough that I was a Buffy Nerd. I could not under any circumstances join the ranks of the aforementioned groups.

For a month I resisted. But then I read other Buffy Nerd's testimonials at Whedonesque.com. The storylines sounded so intriguing. I missed Buffy, Willow, Xander, Dawn, Faith, and Giles. What was happening to them now? I had to know. I HAD TO.

So I went to e-bay, because you can find ANYTHING on e-bay, and I found the first sixteen issues for $25. That’s not bad when you consider each issue costs $3-4 (depends if you’re buying Dark Horse, IDW, or Marvel). Then I found out that Angel was also in comic book form. Same process as above ensued.

Now I’m hooked. Today I bought Buffy issue #19, Angel #12 (I didn’t have it yet), and The Astonishing X-men Trade Paperback Volume #1. Whedon wrote all of them, and I can’t help myself. If Whedon wrote it, I want it. It’s a vicious, vicious cycle. Incurable, really.

Now that I have joined the ranks of adult comic book buyers, I want you all to know that I’ve still never seen an episode of Stargate SG1, I don’t own any black leather pants/jackets/gloves/etc, and there is not enough money in the world that you could pay me to put a piece of metal in my face, BUT I am starting to think about buying a Buffy Scythe.

I'm resisting the urge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha beck-- I love you. Very very amusing-- Have a great day love!