Sunday, August 16, 2009

Where in the World is Becky Doodle?

It’s been a long time…

A very long time.

I guess I owe everyone an explanation.

Remember at the beginning of the summer when I said I wouldn't have time to blog? And remember right after I wrote that "disclaimer" I proceeded to write consistently every week for about two months?

Yep...me too.

Then July and August hit, and I saw every last free moment get sucked away from me right before my eyes. School finally started to have deadlines.

What’s happened since I last wrote?

(This list was not necessarily written in order of importance.)

  1. “The Beast” was damaged in a hit and run. She still works, but she definitely not gonna win any prizes for beauty (Not that she would have before)—her handle bars are a bit wonky (not dangerously) and she’s got a few more “character” chips on her paint and framework.
  2. I finished 20 pages of my thesis.
  3. My best friend Jemima moved to Arizona.
  4. K got married.
  5. My parents and my Floridian cousins visited me in Utah.
  6. I completed more than 50 pages of academic writing (NON thesis) in less than 9 weeks.
  7. I participated in the Park City ultimate tourney.

I can’t think of anything else. But I tell you what…it’s been “fulled up” here.

Want to know a list of things I learned?

  1. I can only write when I’m cold and when the room is entirely silent. What did this mean for doing schoolwork at home in my A/C free house? I didn’t spend much time there. I am a firm believer in finding a “room of one’s own.”
  2. I didn’t think it was possible for me to love motorbikes anymore, but I’ve found them to be the most addictive distraction on the face of the planet. Hopefully, in the next year or two, I’ll be upgrading from my Beast to a bike more conducive to my interest and needs. I’m researching the Kawasaki KLR—a duel sport “thumper.” If you don’t know what that means, don’t worry…I will definitely be talking about this again.
  3. I’ve discovered that Steve McQueen just might have been the most BS-free actor on the face of the planet, and I’m really starting to appreciate his work on a deeper level than when I was younger.
  4. I love Thomas Hardy’s poetry.
  5. I love Rudyard Kipling’s poetry.

4 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

Could have used you on Saturday. Had an Outburst question of listing 10 Steven McQueen films. And I had no clue. I know a few now, but....

Busy summmer, but still sounds fun and/or interesting. I joined an Ultimate League for the fall and I am SO excited!!

pcNut said...

That's some killer writing, I'm glad the Beast still runs, and I'm a lover of Hardy thanks to you :)You're the best:)

Becky said...

Heidi--

McQueen Movies, eh? Let's see how many I can name without the help of google.
1. Nevada Smith
2. The Towering Inferno
3. Bullitt
4. The Great Escape
5. The Getaway
6. The Thomas Crown Affair
7. Love with the Proper Stranger
8. Wanted Dead or Alive (this was a TV show)
9. La Mans
10. The Magnificient Seven
11. The Blob

We would have won.
Incidently, the reason I love Steve McQueen so much (other than his love for motorcycles) was my mom used to watch his movies with me. "Love with the Proper Stranger" is definitely one of my favorites.

PC--

I'm grateful the beast is running too. But I'll be glad when I get the KLR.

Jaime said...

Is Steve McQueen an actor for ice cream commercials?? Hmm.
In lieu of not wanting to sound too "The Christmas Story"-ish I'm afraid that you'll [scrape] your eye out, and I'm afraid for you to get too excited about motor bikes. I hear that quilting is a nice and potentially-endorphin filled hobby.
Miss you!